If you’re one of those people considering a snorkeling this summer, you might be wondering if you need a rash guard while you are in the water.
Table of Contents
What is a rash guard?
A rash guard is a type of swimwear that covers the upper body and may also extend down to cover the thighs.
Rash guards are usually made from Lycra, polyester, or nylon and offer UV protection. They are often worn by surfers, kayakers, and people who participate in other water sports.
Why should I wear one?
There are several reasons why you might want to consider wearing a rash guard while snorkeling.
First and foremost, rash guards offer UV protection.
Depending on the specific type of fabric, they can provide UPF 50+ sun protection, which means they block out 98% of the sun’s harmful rays.
Wearing a rash guard will help prevent sunburn and skin damage caused by exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet radiation.
Another reason to wear a rash guard while snorkeling is that they can help prevent jellyfish stings.
If you’ve ever been stung by a jellyfish, you know how painful it can be.
- 【UPF 50+】UV protection fabric helps you fight against sunburn; to create barrier above the skin
- SWIM IN STYLE: Hey there, big fella! Our men’s swim shirt is designed just for you! Experience ultimate comfort with quick-drying fabric that keeps you feeling fresh and dry immediately after leaving the water.
- Skin Cancer Foundation Recommended Product; UPF 50+ Ultraviolet Protection
- Short-sleeve Rashguard featuring crew neckline and contrast panels at sides
- Alert: True to size : Please follow the size examples below*(EX: Size “Large recommended” – Size for 6″ 215 lbs.) (EX: Size “Medium” 5’9″165 lbs.)
Wearing a rash guard can help protect your skin from these stings because most jellyfish stings cannot penetrate the material.
Lastly, Rash guards can also help prevent chafing.
If you’re going to be swimming for an extended period of time, chances are your skin is going to get rubbed raw at some point.
Wearing a rash guard will help create a barrier between your skin and your swimsuit so that you can avoid this uncomfortable situation.
How to choose the right size rash guard
When choosing a rash guard, it’s important to select the right size.
Rash guards should be snug but not too tight—you should be able to move freely without feeling restricted.
If you’re between sizes, we recommend sizing up rather than down.
And keep in mind that most rash guards are designed to be worn over swimsuits, so don’t hesitate to try one on over your suit before making a purchase.