One challenge that many campers face when using their tent is that of keeping warm.
Although most of us camp in the summer when the weather is warm, there can be occasions when we have cool and damp days and, in the evenings, tents cool quickly and without a source of keeping warm it can feel quite cold.
Freestanding heaters are an obvious solution for camping but as electricity is scarce in tents the only real option is portable gas.
It is perfectly safe to use a propane heater in a tent but you should always be aware of the risks of using these types of devices. Modern heaters have a range of safety features to prevent them from overheating, switching off if they fall over and other features. If your heater is old then you should consider changing or upgrading it to a more modern version.
Make sure that you follow the instructions
If you decide to use a propane heater in your tent then you should always follow the instructions that the manufacturer provides.
Most heaters require a source of ventilation which is necessary to reduce the risks of using the heater. One of the main byproducts of burning propane is carbon monoxide which is an odourless and invisible gas but, which is deadly to humans and animals.
The risk posed by carbon monoxide is minimal if you follow the instructions but it is wise to use a carbon monoxide detector in your tent and we’ve found one that is ideal for tents here on Amazon.
Propane Heaters for Tents Overview
1. 14,000 BTU Propane Heater for Camping
2. Campy Gear 2 in 1 Heater and Stove
- DUAL FUNCTION CAMPING GEAR: Campy Gear honorably presents you this 2-in-1 heater & stove that serves the purpose of cooking and heating for your outdoor adventures.
- FAST HEATING: Max output up to 13,000 BTU propane heater with efficient 360° radiant heating that warms up you and your beloved families quickly in the freezing cold winter.
- PRECISE COOKING: Equipped with adjustable flame control to satisfy various cooking purposes, and the collapsible pot stands can support pots range from 3.9 inch to 12 inch.
- DOUBLE SAFETY DEVICE: Equipped with a tip-over switch in case of accidental tip-over, and an ODS switch that will shut the unit off immediately when low level of Oxygen is detected in the surroundings.
- Campy Gear offers you a 2-in-1 heater/stove that keeps you fueled and warm during backpacking, camping, ice fishing and hunting. We pride ourselves in quality products and proudly offer a 1-year warranty along with 24-hour world class customer service to ensure all your needs are met.
3. Mr Heater 15,000 BTU
- 8,000-15,000 BTU heater/cooker
- Automatic safety shut-off
- Hi-med-low regulator
- Use with disposable cylinders or 20 lb. refillable tank
- Completely assembled except for metal stand (included)
4. Texsport Portable 3,000 BTU
4. Porlae Space Heater for Tent 10,000 BTU
- 4,400- to 10,000-BTU radiant heater for spaces up to 250 square feet. Approved for outdoor or ventilated outdoor use(Attention Please: Cannot be used in confined spaces); clean-burning; nearly 100-percent efficient
- Multifunction: Can be used as a heater or as a camping stove. Heating, Boiled water, Cooking and Barbecue. Easy to carry, can be used in camping tent, outdoors, very convenient.
- Pulse ignition; ceramic burner tile mounted with shock absorbing insulation; high temperature resistance.
- Portable handle; swivel-out regulator; connects to Butane or Propane tank (not included); Run Time (Hrs at Max Rated): 3 Hours
- Please read the instructions carefully before using. PORLAE Heaters are guaranteed to be high quality. If you experience any issue simply contact us right away.
Tips for using a heater inside a tent
Propane heaters are an ideal way to keep a tent warm. Most heaters are efficient and propane is available in most camping and outdoor stores as well as garages and other places.
The heaters above are all suitable for use inside a tent and will quickly heat the largest of tents but for value and output our first choice would be the 14,000 BTU heater.
When using a heater always follow the manufacturer’s instructions so that you remain safe and you get the best efficiency from the heater.