Camping offers a whole range of benefits to those that give it a try, but one area that many people struggle with is that of sleeping.
How do you sleep well when you are sleeping on the ground and are there any things that you can do to help you to get a good night’s sleep when you are living in your tent?
Sleeping on the ground when camping can be uncomfortable and can be the one area that spoils a camping trip. But there are things that you can do. Inflatable mattresses, foam pads, padded bases, camp beds and other options all exist that will help to increase comfort levels and improve the chances of you getting a good night’s sleep when camping in your tent.
Can you sleep on the ground when camping?
For most people sleeping on the floor when camping is the only option. Unless you have portable camp beds and a tent that is large enough for them then the floor is the only place.
When you pitch your tent you will need to make sure that the ground is level and free from sharp objects such as stones, rocks, tree roots etc – to protect the base of your tent and to make sure that the ground will be suitable for sleeping on.
The other thing that you might have to think about is wild animals getting into your tent at night while you are sleeping and making sure that this is as difficult as possible for them to do.
How to get a good night’s sleep when camping
There are several things that you can do to help you to get a good night’s sleep when camping.
One of the key benefits of being outdoors is that you will get plenty of fresh air, which in it’s own right will help to tire you out and put you on the right track for a good sleep. Other things that you can do:
Equipment – get the best that you can afford. A warm sleeping bag and comfortable kit makes a big difference.
Warmth – Make sure that you are warm before going to bed.
Extra heat – use a hot water bottle to help to keep you warm.
Time – Stay up later.
Relaxation – chill out before bedtime, beers and camping are a good idea.
Hat – wearing a woolly hat, keeps you warm and you can pull it over your ears to keep noise out.
Do I need a sleeping pad for camping?
It is always a good idea to use a sleeping pad when you are camping on the floor. They provide an extra layer of insulation between your body and the ground and this can make a big difference to your comfort and warmth.
Even in the warm summer months you lose a great deal of heat into the ground and a sleeping pad is always recommended.
These self inflating, memory foam sleeping pads on Amazon are an ideal choice.
How important is a sleeping bag?
Unless it is very warm overnight where you are camping, you will struggle to stay warm and comfortable without a sleeping bag.
As well as providing you with layers of insulation to keep you warm a sleeping bag provides extra padding for comfort and a sense of security and protection which can help to encourage easy and restful sleep.
What about an air bed, are they any good?
A good quality air bed can make a big difference when you are sleeping on the ground.
Air beds are available in a range of different sizes and thicknesses and you will need to make sure that the airbed that you choose will fit into your tent.
Needless to say the thick airbeds are the most comfortable and, if you are looking for the best option then we suggest that you take a look at this Coleman Air Mattress which is 18 inches thick- you’ll find it here on Amazon.
Sleep well on the ground – our top choices
1. Wellax FlexFoam Sleeping Pad
- NO MORE BACK-PAIN : The only foam camping mat you will ever need! Say goodbye to back pain because your weight is supported by the UltraFlex Memory Foam mattress. Roll over or sleep on your side.
- COMPACT & LIGHTWEIGHT : Self-inflating convenience meets air mattress comfort to create the perfect camp mattress for you. Your hiking trips will be comfortable and you will be sleeping like in your own bed.
- REVOLUTIONARY DESIGN & TEAR RESISTANT : Provides a good balance between comfort and durability. This camping pad is waterproof, tear-resistant and insulates heat. Use this camping mat in any weather and on any terrain.
- EASY TO INFLATE AND DEFLATE : Self-inflating technology makes it easier for you to use this pad. Come rain or shine or even snow, the WELLAX UltraThick FlexFoam Sleeping Pad will bring you the comfort you need.
- PERFECT GIFT : What better way to celebrate holidays and birthdays than by giving the gift of adventure to your friends and family? Share the Sleeping Pad with friends and family and unlock the joys of camping and travel.
2. Powerlix Self Inflating Sleeping Pad
- Ultimate Comfort – Our amazing super thick foam design is made special with body mapping technology. The 3 inch thick pad ergonomically supports all your pressure points, giving you superior support and comfort all night long! Built long and wide with smooth comfortable fabric, it’s big enough for adults to sleep on. The insulation makes it suitable for all climates, including winter cold. Say goodbye to back aches from a hard floor or rocky terrain and hello to a perfect night’s sleep!
- Live Your Life to the Fullest– Get ready to travel! The self-inflating portable camp mat inflates super quick! Just make sure to complete inflating it by blowing a bit of air into the valve after it self-inflates. It has 2 dual action air valves to inflate and deflate the mattress faster. It’s perfect for the best night of sleep during any type of adventure, whether it be hiking, camping, backpacking, as well as using it as a bed at home for guests!
- Everlasting Durability – It’s the matt of all mats! The sleeping foam pad has an R-Value of 9.5, with thermal insulation, keeping you warm from the cold ground. It’s made of durable, outdoor grade materials, such as Laminated 30D Rip-stop Nylon and the TPU Layer. It is 100% waterproof, tear resistant, and super quiet to sleep on. Best of all, it’s specially designed to prevent any type of slow leaks during the night. It’s made to fit in your tent.
- Everything You Need – This exclusive mattress comes with everything you need for a peaceful trip! The pads come with a foam sleeping pad, a carry bag with a shoulder/hand handle, and a pocket stitched inside of the carry bag. There is a built-in pillow in the pad as well, so you don’t need to bring your own! When packed, it’s 9.5” x 26”. When opened and inflated, it’s 28” x 77”. It’s compact and lightweight, making it perfect for any trip!
- 100% Refund/Replacement Warranty: PowerLix guarantees to have your back! We want you to be nothing but happy with your new, top of the line, camping bed! Our professional customer service is therefore here to do whatever it takes to guarantee your satisfaction. That’s why your purchase comes backed with our incredible warranty; anytime, any reason, no questions asked!
3. IForrest 4 Inch Thick Sleeping Pad
- 4″ THICK PHENOMENAL COMFORT: IFORREST PATENT PENDING sleeping pad with double-sided support is designed for camping. Size: 79”x 25”x 4”, weight: 2 pounds, a true 4-season camp bed with an R-value of 4.9.
- DURABILITY: This camping air mattress is made of strong waterproof 80D Nylon TPU, will protect you from the wet rough ground in all extreme conditions.
- EASY TO INFLATE & DEFLATE: Includes rapid fill inflator bag, Inflates with 3-4 full bags. Fast inflation and 30 sec deflation with a new 2 valve system, you will never worry about air leakage.
- INNOVATIVE: IFORREST camping pads include built-in armrests and ergonomic pillow – suitable for tent, travel, cot, hammock and sleeping bag!
- * 100% GUARANTEED: If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, the replacement will be sent within 2 days after contacting us!
4. Kelty 20 Degree 2 Person Sleeping Bag
- THE DARK NIGHT: Exclusive Dark Shadow colorway for limited release.
- LOADED WITH FEATURES for 2: independent ventilation, fully removable zip off top layer, two built in blankets, two way zip foot vents, oversized Hood large enough to fit 2 standard pillows from home
- CLOUD LOFT: compressible, quick drying, and ultra-soft. Lightweight cloud loft fill provides warmth in three seasons under the stars with a comfortable price tag. The bag liner and shell are made from silky smooth 75D poly Taffeta
- WIDER THAN A QUEEN BED: room to snooze, or snuggle, 64 inches of shared shoulder space, 84 inches of total length. Go ahead, roll around in your sleep.
- PERFECT FOR CAMPING COUPLES: no need for separate bags or blankets for Bae. Stay warm, get hot, and cool off in comfort and style.
5. Atarashi 4 Season Sleeping Bag
- FILL: 12oz/yd² Polyester Insulation, Temperature Rating 32-77 Degree Fahrenheit, warm and comfortable, insulates better when wet than down insulation while it makes sense to keep any sleeping bag dry as much as possible.
- SEMI-RECTANGLE SHAPE: Pack remarkably small and provides a generous cut at the elbows and knees so side sleepers can shift positions comfortably throughout the night, you can choose your preferred size. Integrated stash pocket allows a watch or lip balm. Weight:4.2-6.9 pounds
- WATERPROOF& WINDPROOF: 290T Nylon shell fabric is treated with a durable water-repellent (DWR) finish to shrug off moisture; Draft collar and a full-length draft tube provide tucked-in comfort and temperature regulation;Half-circle hood with adjustable drawstring keeps your head warmer even in extreme conditions.
- FREE COMBINATION& DETACH:Left-side zippers allow the regular sleeping bags to be zipped together with a right-zipper wide bag to create a double bed; Double sleeping bag can be unzipped and separately zip into two individual sleeping bag. Atarshi sleeping bag of all size can unzip into a blanket for car camping.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: We promise to provide every customer with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are not satisfied with the quality of our product, just simply send a message to our after-sale service team and we’ll solve the problem for you at once. You get a 30 day return and 1 year exchange warranty.
6. ALPS -10 Degree Flannel Sleeping Bag
- Oversized rectangle bag has cotton canvas outer layer, paired with a cozy 100% cotton flannel liner
- Two-layer construction eliminates cold sports and traps in maximum heat
- Roll-up straps allows you to easily roll and compress bag for transportation and storing
- The ALPS OutdoorZ Redwood is on our best sellers list; after one cozy use, you’ll know why
- Dimensions: 38″ x 80″; Fill: 6.5 TechLoft; Weight: 11 lbs 8 oz.; Zipper Size: #8; Temperature Rating: -10°
7. Outwell Double Air Bed
- Dimensions: 200 x 140 x 20 cm (L x W x H)
- Pack size: 40 x 20 cm
- Weight: 2.4 kg
- Easy to use double valve
- Durable polyester
8. ALPS Queen Size Air Bed
- Versatile pump operates via one of these three power options: wall outlet, car outlet or rechargeable battery – pump may be used while plugged in to recharge
- Durable PVC-free fabric and coil system makes for a more solid and comfortable sleeping area
- State-of-the-art rechargeable pump inflates and deflates easily with the “flip of a switch”
- Our lightweight Vertex Air Bed is for indoor/outdoor uses and comes with a carry bag for easy transport and storage
- Queen Dimensions: 56″ x 80″ x 6″ (inflated size) Packed Size 17″ L x 14″ W x 5″ H Weight: 4 lbs 12 oz Weight Capacity 500 lbs
9. Coleman Camping Cot with Air Bed
- Country Of Origin : China
- The Package Height Of The Product Is 7.1 Inches
- The Package Length Of The Product Is 37 Inches
- The Package Width Of The Product Is 10.23 Inches
Sleeping on the ground when camping can be uncomfortable if you are unprepared.
With a little bit of planning and the right type of equipment however, you can get a great night’s sleep and enjoy your camping break much more.
Some of the things that we considered when looking at the products above were comfort, ease of use, durability and value for money.
Whatever options you decide on you can be assured that you are investing in quality products that will provide you with the best levels of comfort for sleeping on the ground in your tent.