Many people enjoy camping, but hate the idea of sleeping on the ground. If you are one of these people, a camping cot could be just what you need.
Camping cots provide an easy way to sleep comfortably while camping and they are surprisingly affordable. This article will discuss whether camping cots are comfortable or not as well as how much they cost so that you can decide if this is the right purchase for your needs.
Camping cots are a great way to have a comfortable place to sleep when camping. They provide a lot more comfort than the cold ground or an uncomfortable sleeping bag and they can be used inside your tent if the weather is bad or outside on nice nights.
What are camping cots and how do they work?
Camping cots are designed to provide a comfortable place to sleep when camping.
They can be set up in your tent or outside on the ground and they have a padded mattress that is much more comfortable than sleeping on hard surfaces like dirt, grass sand, or stones.
The most important part of any camping cot is its frame which must be sturdy enough to support someone’s weight while also providing a space for the mattress and other bedding materials.
The frames come in three main types: aluminum, steel wire with fabric coating, and tubular steel tubing without fabric covering (which provides less comfort).
In order to get the maximum possible comfort from your camping cot you should ensure it has at least an inch depth for maximum benefit.
Why should you buy a camping cot for your next trip
When you use a camping cot you will be off the ground and will have some level of support while you are sleeping.
This is not the same as sleeping on a floor that may be dirty or dusty.
The camping cot offers you some level of protection from insects and animals who might crawl up to your bed while you are trying to sleep, such as spiders.
A camping cot will also provide insulation against cold ground which can help if it’s winter time and, due to the increased airflow around the cot, it will help you to stay cooler on hot summer nights.
How to choose the best camping cot for your needs
When choosing a camping cot, you will need to take into account the size of the mattress. A queen-size camping cot is best for two adults but it might not fit in your car if you have little storage space.
You should also consider how comfortable it is and whether there are any features that may be important to make life easier on your next trip such as wheels or extra pockets.
Storage of the camping cot when it is not being used and the ease of setup or assembly when you arrive at your camping destination are also things that you should consider.
You will also need to be sure that the camping cot will fit inside your tent while allowing you space for storage and to move around.
The benefits of using a camping cot when traveling
Camping cots are lightweight and easy to carry.
Some camping cots have a built in pillow which can be very comfortable and which mean less to carry.
You will save space because your camping cot doesn’t need much room to set up or store away from other items such as luggage, food, clothes etc.
You will enjoy greater comfort and warmth than sleeping on the ground
The area beneath the cot can be used for storage so you are making maximum use of the space.
Are camping cots worth it?
This really depends on the type of camping that you are doing.
If you are camping and doing a lot of hiking, then yes they will be worth it and if you have children with you then they are more likely to sleep well on a camping cot, as opposed to being directly on the ground.
However if you just want to set up your tent and sleep such as when fishing or hunting, wildcamping or cowboy camping, then you will probably be looking for a more lightweight or natural camping experience and, so, a camp cot may not be worth it.
Remember also that a camping cot can be a useful household item if you have guests. The cot can be setup at home when you have visitors if you need an extra bed.
Does a camp cot need a mattress?
You do not need to add a mattress to a camping cot, but it can be done.
You need to ensure that you have the right size camping cot for a mattress, and this is not something everyone will do or want to bother with.
A sleeping mat would also work with a camping cot and this would increase comfort and warmth providing the mat fits the cot.
There are camping cots available that have thick mattresses and also cots that come with their own removable mattress – these can often be memory foam type or inflatable.
What is the best camping cot for couples?
Coleman’s camping cot is easy to assemble and can hold up to 600 pounds.
It includes a battery-powered pump that inflates the air mattress, two side tables for storing items such as glasses or food, and an included carry bag.
This durable product also comes with a one year warranty which protects you against defects in materials or workmanship.
This camping cot has all of the features necessary for your next outdoor adventure – including easy assembly thanks to its simple design and a 600 pound weight capacity.
It is perfect for couples, friends or family members who are looking to camp together without needing to bring inflatable mattresses or sleeping bags.
- Country Of Origin : China
- The Package Height Of The Product Is 7.1 Inches
- The Package Length Of The Product Is 37 Inches
- The Package Width Of The Product Is 10.23 Inches
What is the best camping cot for children?
Easy to carry and easy to set up, the OSAGE RIVER Camping Cot Portable Foldable is an ideal choice for children of all ages.
This one-of-a-kind camping cot is designed for outdoor enthusiasts who need an easy to setup cot that is durable, well made and safe.
With its heavy duty 600D PVC coated polyester that won’t tear or break, and a carbon steel frame, this cot is perfect for any camping trip and is tough enough for the most active or determined child camper.
This cot is also tough enough for adults, so it makes a good choice for family camping trips too.
- ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT- Osage River’s camping cots for adults are designed with tubular carbon steel legs that have been factory tested at 300 pounds; flat plastic feet prevent the cot from sinking in soft soils; comes with a carry bag.
- ULTRA COMFORTABLE – The open sleeping cot dimensions are 28 inches wide, 75 inches long, and 18.5 inches high so you can sleep comfortably on your side or back; an elevated headrest ensures comfort with or without a pillow.
- EXTREMELY DURABLE – This folding cot is constructed with heavy-duty 600D PVC coated polyester to help withstand wet weather conditions; its packed size is slightly larger than a camp chair; weighs 13 pounds.
- EASY to SET UP and CARRY – Easy to use sleeping cots for adults; open by pressing down on the 4 frame joints to lock them in position; close by loosening the same joints while the cot is on its side and pulling the frame cords to fold the legs.
- BUILT FOR THE OUTDOORS – Headquartered in Missouri in the rolling hills just east of the Osage River has allowed Osage River the prime environment to design and test quality, durable, outdoor products at practical prices.
Bunk bed camp cot for children
If you have more than one child and you are looking to maximise the space that you have available in your tent then a ‘bunk bed’ setup could work for you.
The Disc-O-Bed Youth Kid-O–Bunk with Organizers will provide your children with a great place to sleep and is fun as well.
The Kid-O-Bunk is a versatile and durable sleeping solution for kids of all ages. The bunk bed can be configured as either two single cots or one sitting bench, making it especially handy where space is at a premium.
Kids will love the cool colors available in this no tool assembly product that adjusts to uneven ground with ease.
- VERSATILE 2-PERSON CAMPING COT: Compact and comfortable bunked cots that you can use as 2 separate cots, a bench, or bunked beds
- EVEN SLEEPING SURFACE: Rounded frame doesn’t sink into the ground and provides a sturdy, level sleeping surface even on uneven terrain
- KEEP GEAR NEARBY: Side organizers hang from side of cots to hold gear or personal items
- ELEVATED HEIGHT: Sits 11 inches off the ground with 21 inches in between cots
- MADE TO LAST: Built for indoor and outdoor use with powder-coated, anti-rust steel frame and PVC-coated 600D polyester fabric that’s water-resistant, hygienic, and easy-to-clean
If you are going on a camping trip, there is no better way to make yourself comfortable than with a camping cot.
Not only will this keep you comfortable, it also provides more space for other items in the tent or shelter as well.
Camping cots come in all shapes and sizes so find one that suits your needs best and you’ll never sleep on the ground again.