Camping with a motorcycle is not only possible but it can be done without sacrificing all of the conveniences that you would typically have at home.
The key to successfully camping on your motorcycle is knowing what equipment will work best for your needs and understanding how to properly pack your gear.
Motorcycle camping is a great way to truly capture that outdoor freedom and experience but one thing that you should not forget to pack is a camping stove. Taking a camping stove on your bike will require some thinking and planning but it’s perfectly possible and there are many suitable camping stoves to choose from.
In this article we’ll talk about which type of fuel source would work best with your motorcycle camping lifestyle, how big of an impact weight has on your decision making process, and whether or not you want an integrated stove system or something more portable like a backpacking stove.
We also have included a list of our favorite stoves from the market to consider after you read through this article.
Size of camping stove
Probably the key thing to consider when planning a camping trip with your motorcycle is the size of the camping stove that you will take with you.
While on your bike you need to make the best and most efficient use of the space that you have for carrying your camping equipment and your stove will need to fit into this plan.
You’ll most likely have a tent, food, extra clothes and other necessities for your trip and these will all need to be carried on your bike.
So, you will need to make sure that your camping stove fits on your bike with all of your other gear.
The fuel type of your camping stove
The type of fuel used by your stove will also have a very important impact on the size and suitability of your camping stove for motorcycle camping.
If you were thinking about taking a propane or butane stove then there are certain issues to consider if you want this type of fuel source to work with your bike. The main issue is that these fuels are highly flammable, so using them on a motorcycle is hazardous.
Propane can be stored in cylinders for camping use but these are not safe to have on your bike because of the risks involved when you are riding. If ever something went wrong with your motorcycle you could quickly find yourself being caught up in an out-of-control fire ball.
Butane fuel canisters, however, are made to be used with portability and this is why these canisters work so well for camping stoves.
Butane fuel canisters come in a variety of sizes and many of them even fit nicely into the box or bag that your stove came it.
So, if you do want to take a butane stove then it is a good idea to select one that is compact and lightweight.
Integrated stove system or separate components?
There are many types of camping stoves on the market today and each type has something unique about it.
There are small backpacking stoves, large two burner stove systems, integrated single burner systems, and much more. So, deciding which stove is best for your needs can be difficult.
One of the first things that you should consider when shopping for a new camping stove is whether you want an integrated stove system or separate components.
A two burner, single propane tank system seems to have all of the components that you could need built into the design while other systems are made to be carried along with other separate pieces.
This is a decision that all comes down to personal preference but it might also depend on how much space you have to carry your camping stove.
Two burner stove systems are large and can weigh six pounds or more when they are fully assembled. So, that needs to be factored into the equation if you are concerned about weight.
If you like to take long motorcycle camping trips then size and weight will matter, but if you only take short weekend trips then these extra features may not be necessary for your style of living.
Fuel efficiency of the stove you choose
One important thing to consider when taking a camping stove on your bike is the fuel efficiency of your stove.
You might think that a backpacking camping stove would be the best option because they are lightweight and highly portable but there is a downside to this type of cooking system as well.
Backpacking stoves, or small canister stoves as they are sometimes called, have somewhat poor fuel efficiency compared to other options on the market.
The heat output of these stoves is lower than other models and this can lead to longer cooking times, more fuel used, and higher overall costs.
The weight of the camping stove
If you have ever gone backpacking or hiking before then you know that weight really makes a difference when it comes to how much equipment you can carry.
You want to choose lightweight, high quality backpacking gear that is strong and durable but still light enough to carry with you on your trip.
Durability of the camping stove
If camping and motorcycling have one thing in common, that one things is that they can and will be exposed to all sorts of weather and possibly rough handling.
When you are camping and motorcycling you’ll need to look for a camping stove that is going to withstand all sorts of possible abuse and which will not give up after a few hours use.
Thankfully most stoves that have been designed for camping have been built with rough conditions in mind and will last for many outings and situations.
It is safe to say that, as in many things, you tend to get what you pay for with camping equipment and, just like motorcycle gear, cheap is often not the best.
Calculate your needs
You also need to calculate your needs when it comes to a camping stove.
Do you plan on only going out for a single night? Then a smaller, lightweight stove might be all that you would need.
But if you’re planning on heading out for multiple days then you will probably want to bring along something much larger and more efficient than a smaller, lightweight option.
Some people like to cook their food on open flame grills while other opt for more traditional cooking styles which require things like pots and pans.
If you are only planning on having hot dogs or burgers then you might not need that extra space that comes with pots and pans, but if you like to do things the old fashioned way then make sure that your stove will support those cooking options as well.
Extra features and what they mean
Many camping stoves come with a carrying case or bag that makes packing them up and taking them on your outdoor excursions easier.
These cases also help with protecting the stove from any damage while traveling on your motorcycle.
There are also stoves that come with legs which can be unfolded to provide more stability and support when you’re cooking, particularly if you’re using large sized pots or pans.
If you like having an extra level of control over the stove while you’re out in the wilds then look for a camping stove that comes with adjustable heat control or even one that can go from low to high quickly so you don’t burn all your food.
What about cooking in the rain?
If you’re planning on camping when it’s raining then you’ll want to find a stove with good weather resistance, just like in motorcycle clothing .
You will have to be able to shield your camping stove from the elements when necessary so you can still cook in all kinds of weather.
If it’s raining then look for a stove that comes with a hand or arm shield at the very least; this will help protect you and the flame while you’re cooking.
Popular stoves for motorcycle camping
Fire-Maple “Fixed Star 2” Backpacking and Camping Stove System
- HIGHLY EFFICIENT – Our industry leading heat exchange technology minimizes wind impact and reduces boiling times by up to 30% compared to traditional backpacking stoves.
- COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT – All accessories including stove, pot, pan support, canister stand and fuel canister(NOT included) fit into the 1-liter cook pot. This item weighs only 22 oz! NOTE: THIS SET DOES NOT INCLUDE A FUEL CANISTER, Coleman standard canister is wider and will not fit in well with the X2 pot.
- INTEGRATED AND EASY TO USE SYSTEM – The 1 liter cooking pot and the stove are one integrated unit, the built in piezoelectric ignitor ignites the stove instantly.
- SAFE, STURDY AND DURABLE – The sturdy, hard anodized aluminum pot features a locking stainless steel handle for secure and safe handling, this combined with the insulating neoprene cover on the pot will ensure years of safe outdoor cooking pleasure!
- 30 DAY RETURNS AND 3 YEAR WARRANTY – The Fire-Maple Fixed Star 2 is the ideal cooking system for backpacking, camping, hiking, trekking, fishing, hunting, biking, kayaking, tailgating, picknicking and all other outdoor activities. We will stand behind our products and provide you with reliable support!
The Fire-Maple Fixed Star 2 Backpacking and Camping Stove System is the most efficient way to cook on the trail.
The industry leading heat exchange technology minimizes wind impact and reduces boiling times by up to 30% compared to traditional backpacking stoves.
The compact, integrated design includes a 1 liter cooking pot, piezoelectric ignitor, burner head with heat exchanger, and folding stand with pot support.
The system weighs only 21 oz.
Coleman Gas Camping Stove | Triton Propane Stove, 2 Burner
- COOKING POWER: Up to 22,000 total BTUs
- 5 ADJUSTABLE BURNERS: For precise temperature control
- WIND-BLOCKING PANELS: Shield burners from wind and adjust for various pan sizes
- PRESSURE REGULATOR: Pressure-control technology for consistent performance, even in extreme conditions
- EASY TO CLEAN: Chrome-plated grate and rust-resistant aluminum cooktop
Coleman’s Triton 2-Burner Stove is a compact propane stove that packs power and precision.
The adjustable burners allow you to control your heat for various pan sizes and wind conditions.
Coleman’s patented WindBlock panels shield the burners from the wind and allow you to adjust for various pan sizes.
The chrome-plated grate and rust-resistant aluminum cooktop make it easy to clean, while the pressure regulator technology delivers consistent performance, even in extreme conditions.
This camping stove comes with a one-year limited warranty on parts and labor.
Outdoor Mini One-Piece Liquid Fuel Camping Gasoline Stove Burner
- One-piece outdoor gasoline stove.
- Strong fire power,meeting the need of most people.
- Suitable for camping,hiking,mountaineering,fishing andcourtyard.
- Collapsible stove mount to prevent it from sliding and waggling and to save storage space.
- Unique patented explosion-proof design of the fuel filler port.The pressure is too high and the pressure is automatically relieved to ensure safe use
This camping stove is the best choice for outdoor activities. It has a strong fire power, meeting the need of most people.
The portable and practical design makes it easy to carry and store.
Unique patented explosion-proof design of the fuel filler port, pressure is too high and the pressure is automatically relieved to ensure safe use.
This camping stove has a foldable stand to prevent it from sliding and waggling and to save storage space.
Odoland 3500W Windproof Camp Stove Camping Gas Stove
- Windproof Design: Constructed with windshield design, provide an efficient prevention to wind, improving burning efficiency and saving energy.
- ALL-in-1 Design: Aluminum alloy and stainless steel, equipped with piezo ignition system and flame controller, make it more convenience and practicable. Equipped with 2 kinds of connector, perfect for different gas tanks. Compatible with any 7/16 thread single protane/butane-propane mixed fuel canisters (EN 417).
- Strong Power: High power of up to 3500W, even heating distribution. It takes around 3mins to boil 1L water (change with weather, fuel and cooking ware accordingly).
- Foldable & Portable: Lightweight and folding design with a carrying case, convenient to carry-on.
- Perfect for Outdoor Gear: An excellent equipment for camping, hiking, overnight trips or any other outdoor activities.
Windproof Design: Constructed with windshield design, provide an efficient prevention to wind, improving burning efficiency and saving energy.
ALL-in-1 Design: Aluminum alloy and stainless steel, equipped with piezo ignition system and flame controller, make it more convenience and practicable. Equipped with 2 kinds of connector, perfect for different gas tanks. Compatible with any 7/16 thread single protane/butane-propane mixed fuel canisters (EN 417).
Strong Power: High power of up to 3500W, even heating distribution. It takes around 3mins to boil 1L water (change with weather, fuel and cooking ware accordingly).
Foldable & Portable: Lightweight and folding design with a carrying case, convenient to carry-on.
Perfeclct for Outdoor Gear: An excellent equipment for camping, hiking, overnight trips or any other outdoor activities.
nCamp Stove Plus, Multi-Fuel Camping Stove, Portable and Compact
- Complete Camping Stove Essentials – Complete your camping cooking gear with nCamp Stove Plus small wood stove set. This Stove Plus portable gas burner set is a perfect tool to help you maximize your outdoor experience.
- Multiple Fuel Options – Bring this small wood burning stove to your next epic adventure! Our single burner camp stove accommodates solid fuels such as wood, charcoal, and hexamine and liquid fuels such as isopropane, gas, and alcohol.
- Compact & Portable – Our outdoor wood stove set is designed to be compact & light together with its functional accessories. This portable camping stove has an innovative collapsing combustion chamber, so you can lay it down flat, reducing the bulk in your pack.
- Built To Last – Our small wood burning stove set is made from premium-quality stainless steel and aluminum. The Stove Plus single burner camp stove is not susceptible to corrosion and oxidation allowing you to reuse it on your next camping or hiking trip.
- Grab Your Pick – For your convenience, we curated 4 outdoor wood stove set options for you. You can have our camping gas stove with the gas adapter only. Or, go for an effortless carry with its compact carrying case plus its inclusive camping essentials.
The nCamp Stove Plus is the ultimate camping stove. The compact collapsible camping stove works with virtually every fuel type. No matter the situation, the nCamp Stove Plus has you covered.
Wood or Gas – Works with Virtually Every Fuel Source – The nCamp Stove Plus works with ISO-Propane (includes adapter) Alcohol, Hexamine, Wood and a Composite fuel of wood and biomass.
Designed with You in Mind – The nCamp Stove Plus starts with a smart designed combustion chamber that creates a Venturi effect for better and faster heating while staying sturdy and wind resistant. The nCamp Stove Plus works great for boiling, frying, cooking and grilling.
Lightweight – Size is greatly reduced by collapsing the legs into a single unit that’s easy to transport in any backpack or camping gear bag.
Final Words on what you should look for in a camping stove for motorcycling
Before buying a camping stove it’s important to find one that is going to suit your needs and which is also of a high enough quality that you won’t have to worry about replacing it quickly.
These stoves can be expensive, especially those with extra features like adjustable heat levels, but they are reliable and will last you for many trips out into the wild.